Thursday, August 5, 2010

Welcome to the Wacky World of Alzheimer's - Humor is Sanity!

Hey Everybody, 
      I decided to start a blog about my adventure's with Alzheimer's Disease.  As all of my friends know, my Gramma had Alzheimer's for about 10 years before she died peacefully in her sleep holding my hand.  It sucked to watch the woman who made me the person I am today get stolen from us by this ugly, miserable disease.    Between my grandfather, Bompa, and I, we rode the roller coaster together up and down every hill and around every turn, until it finally ended in March of 2008. It made us closer than ever before.  I mean, I have always loved my Bompa, but growing up I did much more girl stuff with Gramma, and shared my secrets and dreams with her.  But caring for her took both of us, and we were a great team.  It wasn't easy.  But I know in my soul that we did everything right.  We would have made her proud!    And although it was a daily struggle, I more so than Bompa, found humor in the odd behaviors.   And being silly and laughing about those things made it bearable.  So I will preface my stories by saying, if you are at all offended by them, stop reading them. The reality is Alzheimer's Disease SUCKS and laughter is my therapy!  And for those of you who don't know yet...a month ago, my Bompa was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I'm back on the roller coaster.  Changes in him are happening very fast and I'm gonna need all the laughter I can get.   So if you're interested, jump on for the ride!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a wonderful way to document your journey. It takes a special woman to care so lovingly.

    I promise to read and laugh along with you!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Chris. What a great idea! I think you will be helping others cope and heal as well :)

    Lisa R.

    ReplyDelete